Finished Object: Stripey Baby Blanket

Today is the day where I finally get to talk about the secret knitting project I’ve been mentioning off and on for the last few months. It was secret because it was a gift, it’s now been given and so I can blog about it and share a couple of photos. 

At Christmas one of my oldest friends shared the news that she and her lovely boyfriend were expecting a baby. I was so excited for them and couldn’t wait to get making something for their forthcoming arrival. In recent years I’ve made blankets for all new arrivals and so this baby would receive no different. I decided I wanted to knit rather than crochet and felt in the mood for a new design (in the past I’ve knitted feather and fan blankets). It was the perfect excuse for spending some quality time on Pinterest, I’ve now got a board with more baby blanket ideas than I’m likely to ever need (and I still keep adding to it). 

I chose a pattern that used stripes of colour done in stocking stitch with the colour change row done as a row of knit 1 purl 1 rib to give a nice effect. After much thought I picked five colours that coordinated well and would be suitable for a summer baby. I also decided that I wanted a single colour border so decided I would knit one on at the end – after all, what’s a big project if you’re not doing at least one thing for the first time.

The final result looked like this:

I’m really happy with how it turned out. The main body of the blanket in particular gave me much joy as it took shape – I’d initially planned on horizontal straps but realised that this would end up being very big so turned them round and made them vertical stripes and was very happy with the end result. I didn’t work to any fixed pattern for the stripes other than choosing to make it symmetrical. All of the colour blocks are a multiple of four rows, I just went on instinct to decide when to switch.

The border wasn’t anywhere near as challenging as I’d expected it to be. I put off knitting it for a few weeks before I finally made myself make a start on it. I was happy with the overall look of the finished border, but it didn’t work quite as well as I wanted it to structure wise. I don’t think I’d be in a rush to do another border like this.

The blanket has been well received, which is the most important thing, and receiving a photo of its tiny owner asleep underneath made my day. As far as I’m aware there won’t be any more blankets to knit for a little while, in the meantime I can just keep pinning new ideas to that board!

One thought on “Finished Object: Stripey Baby Blanket

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s