After having a wonderful 30th birthday yesterday it’s time to turn my attention back to it being the end of the year, and posting my year in review meme entry. I thought I’d done this meme in the last couple of years but I think it must have been on my old blog instead, that blog doesn’t exist any more so sadly I can’t credit where I first saw the meme – if anyone remembers it please let me know so I can give appropriate credit.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Went to a couple of Doctor Who conventions, ate Thai food, read digital comics.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
I didn’t make any, I did however fail miserably at my Things Before 30 list which seemed like a good idea at the time but faded over the year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, November and December saw the births of Paula, George and Charlie – the children of a cousin and of close friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Does Wales count? Spent a lot of time visiting there! Also the USA for my New York holiday.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A completed degree, a job as a librarian.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Specific dates? Not sure there are any, though there are lots of moments I’ll remember even if I don’t remember which date they happened.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’m answering these together because it doesn’t really feel like 2012 was a year of either big achievements or failures, I’m partway through my degree so it was a year of just carrying on.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major, obviously continued to experience my usual health issues but didn’t have anything new.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Convention tickets, this year I went to three conventions and each was a wonderful weekend.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and tuition fees.
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Good question, probably two of the songs I saw Brian Nutter perform at Con-2 – his cover of Pink Houses by John Mellencamp (which was a duet with Christian Kane) and his song Red Sundress.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
A little thinner.
c) richer or poorer?
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent more time with friends, writing.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watching rubbish shows in the hope they might improve.
18. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Yes, with the Avengers film and cast.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
My favourites were; Doctor Who, The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Arrow, Elementary, Chicago Fire, Castle, and more.
20. What was the best book you read?
I loved so many, but particularly A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne, The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, Hollow Pike by James Dawson and the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.
21. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Avengers, and then The Hobbit was a late entry and love.
22. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It was my birthday yesterday and I was 30. I had a wonderful weekend, Friday evening I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey for the second time (and loved it just as much as the first time), Saturday evening was spent at my favourite local balti house and then the day itself included a family gathering and much cake.
23. What kept you sane?
Friends, books, cross stitching, Twitter.
25. Who did you miss?
Friends I didn’t manage to see enough of, there are so many I only managed to see a couple of times over the course of the year.
26. Who was the best new person you met?
I met lots of new people this year, people who were entirely new to me and people who I’d known online for a while and got to meet in person at last. Don’t think I could possibly pick just one!